Fallkniven – Santoku, White Whale, 7 in.



A Very Good Nearly All Purpose Knife

Before purchasing the White Whale (why it is named that will forever be a mystery to me), I used Henckels 4 Stars. I have found that I use the White Whale as my go-to knife for vegetables and meat when there are no bones involved. With bones, I go to the Henckels 8″ chef’s knife and have at it. The White Whale holds a better edge than the Henckels. It is also a tad more brittle, so if you hack into a bone you may harm the edge. The VG-10 metal used for the blade is used in a number of Japanese higher end knives.


The handle is hard rubber that is comfortable. The black teflon coating will start abrading after a while, and the knife starts to loose its high-tech black look and becomes a bit shabby. Not the prettiest knife around, but I still use it a lot more than my Henckels chef’s knife, so I guess I am happy with it. If I were to replace the White Whale, I would probably opt for another VG-10 that didnt have the teflon, something like a Hattori or Kasumi.


Click to Editorial Reviews





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TBCL Utility Knife 17 Centimeters

Masanobu VG-10 Sujihiki 10.5″ (27cm) – Right