Calphalon Katana Stainless-Steel 7-Inch Nakiri Knife



Great looks and performance

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. The meals I prepare are complicated and often include a good amount of sliced vegetables. I have two Santoku knives and have found myself using this knife more and more for my preparation work.


PROS:


- Great feel, perfect balance


- Sharp easily maintained edge


- Heavy enough for the big stuff (squash and pumpkins)


- Balanced enough for the small stuff (garlic and ginger mincing)


- Works great whether you hold the handle (like I do) or the blade (like they show you in some cooking schools). If you are a blade holder, then you’ll love the feel of this thick backed `clever’ like knife!


PROS/CONS:


- You have to hand wash and dry this knife immediately after use, but you should be used to this with any high end knife (wouldn’t want to ruin your edge in the dishwasher…)


- It’s a bit expensive, but then, it’s very well made


- Thicker then a…

Excellent knife, series

I love every knife in this series, and this one is no different. The mostly straight blade is perfect for chopping/slicing straight through vegetables. The Nakiri has become my most used knife in the kitchen, since most of what I cut are vegetables. (Sure, the Chef and Santoku do a great job, too)


The edge is extremely sharp (though it may not be the sharpest knife on the market…my MAC Sushi knife is sharper), and combined with it’s satisfying heft, makes slicing through onions, potato(e)s, carrots, etc. extremely easy.


I’ve read the reviews of knives in this series that complain about the ease with which these knives rust. I own nearly the entire collection (minus the new knives) and have not encountered this problem. Many people stress that the knives must be washed and dried immediately after use. This is not true – or at least it’s not true given my experiences.


Having been forewarned not to leave the knives in a pot of water overnight – or…

Prep Cook’s best friend

I am a 18 year old prep cook at a 5 star restaurant. I have been working my way up in the kitchen since I was a young dish washer, and my Grandmother bought me this Knife for Christmas this year. This knife is excellent in the prep station. I prepare soups, stir fry, slaw, salsa, vegetable, fruit, etc. and this knife can do it all. I even cut calamari with it because of it sharpness. This is key because its grind is almost flat like a katana (hence the Katana Series) and that allows it to be stay extremely sharp. About the rusting… I have seen no sings of rust yet, but I also wash and dry my knife after each use (which every chef/cook should do to be sanitary). Overall I give this knife a 5 star rating. I fell in love with it the minute I took it out of the package.


P.S. Calling people a douche just makes you look like one. That is embarrassing.

Click to Editorial Reviews





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TBCL Utility Knife 17 Centimeters

Masanobu VG-10 Sujihiki 10.5″ (27cm) – Right