Wusthof Grand Prix ll 7-Inch Fish Fillet Knife with Leather Sheath, Green



Exquisite Quality Fillet Knife

I gave this knife a workout by boning a chicken and skinning a large slab of salmon. In addition, I tested it by doing half of each job with another, similar knife by Buck. First of all, the Wusthof is a forged knife; the Buck is a stamped product. A forged knife has a heft and balance that adds to the feel of control over the tool. The heft and balance of each forged knife is engineered to the intended purpose of the knife. The Wusthof blade is more flexible, which allowed me to get very close to the bones of the chicken and to scrape off only the skin of the salmon by angling the blade slightly toward the inner surface of the skin. The Buck knife, by comparison, did not allow me the ability to get quite as close to the bones of the chicken, although I couldn’t detect too much difference on the salmon.


I also tried both knives at the task of de-boning a leg of lamb. Both of the blades were too flexible for the deep cuts and scraping around the joints of the bone…

A great filleting knife!

First of all, let me say that Wusthof has done a beautiful presentation of this knife. The knife and sheath come in a decent box, shrink wrapped with the knife showing, making it a nice gift.

The knife itself is very thin indeed. I found it to be useful to fillet the types of fish we usually eat, trout, panfish, catfish and bass. I think if you were to try to use it on a very large fish, you might have some trouble with that very flexible, thin blade.

The blade transmits sensitivity very well. I always felt that I knew just where the knife was in relation to the spine, which meant less meat waste. It cut equally well through silverskin or scales. I used it in my kitchen to bone a chicken, and was pleased with the result. The thinness of the blade enabled me to slice cleanly around the bones.

The one issue is that sheath. The flexibility of that long, thin blade means the knife can be difficult to get into the sheath.

I have rather large hands for a woman, I usually…

high-quality knife pleased with its performance

I found this knife to be excellent quality, well-balanced, attractive,good grip, and strong. I’m not a avid fisherman but I like high-quality knives and this knife did not disappoint me. I think blade will hold its sharpness much longer than its competitors. The blade is flexible but not quite as flexible as your nine dollar Wal-Mart special. This knife is adequate for carving chicken but the length of the blade becomes challenging to use. This knife excels at slicing melons and other large fruit. To be honest the best thing about this knife is its name. Wusthof means the owner might actually know what they’re doing and the owner is into cooking with high-quality utensils.

Click to Editorial Reviews





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TBCL Utility Knife 17 Centimeters

Masanobu VG-10 Sujihiki 10.5″ (27cm) – Right