Shun DM0702 Classic 7-Inch Santoku Knife



Shun Knives are Beautiful, Elegant, and the Sharpest around

I have a whole set of these blades, so I’m breaking down my review to two parts: Review of the Shun Classic Blades, and the portion as it pertains to this knife in particular.


I actually have this knife in the scalloped version. Although it looks kind of cool, I don’t know if it really offers any additional advantage. I would have bought this straight version instead, except, I bought my knives as a set and the scalloped version came in my set.


The 6-1/2 inch knife is a utilitarian knife with many uses. It’s definitely one of the steady work horse knives that you’ll be reaching for all the time. It’s a little on the small side, but perfectly in the middle between the real work horse (an 8″ blade) and the smaller utility or paring knife.


Shun knives are beautiful creations period. Since I’m Asian, I love the tradition look and feel of this Japanese knife. I love the beauty of the blade and the dark, polished, Pakkawood handle. The unique…

The very best knife in my collection.

I bought this knife because my hero, Alton Brown recommended them, and as an author who has made a special study of kitchen equipment, I put a bit more weight on it than if the recommendation came from anyone else. I am not disappointed. This knife is sharp beyond imagination. I have an extensive collection of high end German knives, including Santokus and chef’s knives, and straight from the package, none of them even come close to this beauty for sharpness. I swear it can cut through relatively robust materials such as raw onions, potatoes, and mangos as if there was nothing there. Shaving the flesh from the mango seed always seems to be something of a struggle with mere mortal knives. Doing this task with this beauty is a dream.


I will not plug the Santoku design, as one’s choice between Santoku and French chef’s knife for most kitchen tasks may really be a matter of taste and familiarity. Frankly, if it were not for the insanely sharp blade on this knife, I would prefer…

Buy this knife

Alright. First read all the other reviews and see what they think. Chances are, they’re right.


I’ve been looking for a knife like this all my life.


I like the thinness of American knives like Chicago Cutlery (the original Walnut, not the cheap ones they sell now), but am envious of the heft of the German knives (I had a full set of Henckels Professionals).


The problem? The thin knives are too light, the heavy ones are too thick.


Now, we have the best of both worlds with Shun.


Wait, I know what you’re saying. They’re too expensive. No. Listen: if you pick and choose, you can get a lifetime of cutlery pleasure out of just a few samples.


First, buy the 7-inch Santoku. You can get the Granton edge (the scalloped thingies) if you want, but it will just mess up the beauty of the Damascus steel finish. This is your workhorse; a little hotrod that will lightly and competently saw through most of your daily chores…

Click to Editorial Reviews





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TBCL Utility Knife 17 Centimeters

Masanobu VG-10 Sujihiki 10.5″ (27cm) – Right